Virginia Tech® home


Call 911

The first objective in an emergency is to get the necessary assistance for the injured. Call 911 for police, fire, and/or rescue.

Worker's Compensation

All employee work-related injuries must be reported to the Department of Human Resources so that worker's compensation benefits may be properly coordinated. Please use this link, Workers Compensation, for instructions and to access the reporting form.

Student Injuries

All student injuries that occur during an instructional, shop, or research-related activity must be reported to EHS so that an accident investigation can be initiated if needed. The Employers Accident Report (EAR) form is used for students as well, but students are not covered by Workers Compensation unless they are injured while working in a paid capacity for the university. The instructor or supervisor for the activity should complete this form on behalf of the student, with the assistance of their Human Resources representative for their department or college. Students should seek medical attention at either the emergency room, the Schiffert Health Center, or their primary care physician.

Virginia Occupational Safety and Health (VOSH)

As of Jan. 1, 2015, all covered employers must report certain severe injuries to OSHA/VOSH within 24 hours of learning about it, and fatalities within 8 hours. Environmental Health & Safety serves as the liaison with external regulatory agencies, and coordinates notification to VOSH of reportable events.

Environmental Health & Safety may conduct an accident investigation independently or in conjunction with VOSH (or other agencies such as worker's compensation). Notify Environmental Health & Safety at 540-231-2341 or 231-5985 immediately of the following work-related events so that timely notification is ensured:

  • Fatalities
  • In-patient hospitalizations
  • Amputations
  • Loss of an eye

Environmental, Health & Safety

Environmental Health & Safety receives notification of all work-related injuries and illnesses via the Employer's Accident Report; however, this notification may not be within the specified time frame for VOSH notification. Any time an employee must go to an urgent care facility, the emergency room, or is transported by ambulance or helicopter, Environmental Health & Safety must be notified directly. The department will begin the accident investigation process and ensure timely notification to VOSH for required events.

  • Robin McCall-Miller: 540-231-2341
  • Zachary Adams: 540-231-5985
  • Off-hours: 540-391-0311

Important Emergency Numbers:

  • Emergencies (Police, Fire, Rescue): 911
  • Police (Non-emergency): 540-231-6411
  • Schiffert Health Center: 540-231-5996
  • Division of Campus Planning, Infrastructure, and Facilities Customer Service: 540-231-4300