About Environmental Health & Safety
Virginia Tech Environmental Health & Safety Mission
Environmental Health & Safety actively promotes a positive, responsible, integrated safety culture at all levels of the university community, advocates providing a safe and healthy living, learning, and working environment for all, and assists departments with complying with regulations and mandates.
Environmental Health & Safety accomplishes our role of regulatory liaison through education, consultation, and compliance monitoring.
Environmental Health & Safety:
- Educates top management on environmental, health, and safety issues and actively promotes integrating these issues into the business plan and day-to-day operations of the university.
- Supports departmental efforts to recognize, evaluate and control hazards, and integrate environmental, health, and safety considerations into their daily operations and planning, by imparting knowledge and affirming roles and responsibilities.
- Supports employees' efforts to maintain a safe and healthy workplace by providing training, information, consultation, and effective feedback in a courteous, ethical, professional, timely manner.
- Provides necessary services to the university community to monitor and ensure a safe and healthy living, learning, and working environment.
- Supports university compliance by assuring that certain regulatory-required reports are submitted to state and federal authorities.
- Bernadette Mondy, Interim Assistant Vice President for Environmental Health & Safety
- Donald Conner, University Radiation Safety Officer; Assistant Director; Off-site Services Coordinator
- Zachary Adams, CIH, CSP, PE, University Fire Safety Officer; Assistant Director Occupational Health Services
- Charlotte Waggoner, University Biosafety Officer; Assistant Director, Biosafety
Laboratory Safety serves all university members by helping to create a safe work environment through the promotion of laboratory safety, responsible disposal of hazardous wastes, and environmental oversight. Programs include:
- Chemical/Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Eye Wash and Safety Showers
- Fume Hood Certification
- Environmental Compliance
- Pollution Prevention
- Surplus Chemicals
- Hazardous Materials Spill Response
- Laboratory Safety
Occupational Safety and Health
Occupational Safety and Health serves all university members by helping to create a safe and healthy work environment through the promotion of occupational safety, fire safety, and occupational health programs. Occupational Safety and Health staff also perform industrial hygiene monitoring and evaluations of potential health hazards, and assist with the development of controls to reduce or eliminate exposure to these hazards. Programs include:
- Aerial Lifts
- Asbestos Operations and Maintenance
- Confined Spaces
- Contractor Safety
- Construction Safety
- Electrical Safety
- Electrical Safety for Research
- Excavation Safety
- Fall Protection
- Fire and Life Safety
- Hazard Communication/Right to Know
- Hearing Conservation
- Industrial Hygiene/Hazard Monitoring
- Lead Hazard Control
- Machinery and Equipment Safety
- Occupational Health Assurance
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Powered Industrial Trucks
- Respiratory Protection
- Walking-Working Surfaces (ladders, stairs, scaffolds)
Radiation Safety provides guidance and support to those using radioisotopes, instruments with sealed sources, x-ray instrumentation including diagnostic and analytical equipment, and laser safety.
- Laser Safety
- Nuclear Medicine
- Radiation Safety
- X-Ray Safety
Biosafety serves all university members by helping to create a safe work environment through the promotion of sound biosafety research practices, providing guidance and training for the use of biological agents, and the inspection of biological research activities. Programs include:
- Autoclave Use and Verification Program
- Biological Safety
- Biosafety for Research Program
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Indoor Air Quality
- Select Agent and Toxin Program