Abrasive Wheel Machinery Safety Checklist
Machine Shop Safety Quick Links
Abrasive Wheels Machinery Safety Checklist
Always follow manufacturer's instructions and recommendations for safe and proper use.
- Are all flanges maintained in good condition?
- When the bearing surfaces become worn, warped, sprung, or damaged, are they trued or refaced?
- Immediately before mounting, are wheels closely inspected and sounded by the user (ring test) to make sure they have not been damaged in transit, storage, or otherwise?
- Immediately before mounting, is the spindle speed of the machine checked to be certain that it does not exceed the maximum operating speed marked on the wheel?
- If the wheels sound cracked, are they not used?
- Are the wheels dry and free from sawdust when applying the ring test, (otherwise the sound will be deadened)?
- Is the work rest adjusted to 1/8” from the bottom of the wheel?
- Is the tongue guard adjusted to ¼” from the top of the wheel? See picture below.
Robin McCall-Miller, Occupational Safety Program Manager
- Call: 540-231-2341
- Email: email@example.com